Maybe you're the type of person who likes to clip coupons, or perhaps you find yourself driving across town to save two cents on a gallon of gas. It's a good feeling to save a few bucks. Chances are, you can save money on your home and auto insurance premium, too.
While all insurance carriers may not offer these deals, you should ask your agent about these top ten insurance discounts:
- Valued policyholder discount. You're rewarded for being a loyal customer. The longer you stay with your insurance carrier, the more you save, regardless of your claims history.
- Select pay discount. Save when you pay through electronic funds transfer (EFT), or when you pay your premium in full.
- Non-smokers discount. Here's another reason to quit. Not only are non-smokers healthier, they also are less likely to have a house fire. You can receive this discount when all residents in your home are non-smokers.
- Hybrid vehicle discount. Earn this credit by owning or leasing a hybrid car.
- Good student discount. Receive this discount if your policy covers a good student driver. The student must be be age 16-24, go to school full time, and have a 3.0 grade point average or better.
- Away at school discount. Policyholders with drivers on their policies will receive a discount if the driver attends school 100 or more miles from home.
- Accident prevention course discount. Provides savings to a driver age 55 or older who completes a state-approved driver improvement course.
- Claim free/violation free discount. Qualify for this discount if you've been accident free for the past three years and have no moving violations.
- Package discount. Sometimes referred to as "bundling," this discount automatically applies if you have both your vehicle(s) and home insured on one policy.
- Umbrella coverage discount. Reduce your home premium when an umbrella policy is added to your coverage.