Eight ways to keep your home safe while on vacation
An empty house can be an easy target for a burglar. The key to deterring a break-in is to make it look like you are home even when you are on vacation.
Follow these steps to protect your home while you’re away:
• Don’t announce your vacation via social media — this will tell potential burglars when you will be gone, making your home an ideal target.
• Lock all doors using deadbolts, and lock your windows.
• Set your interior lights on a timer. This will make it look like someone is home throughout the day.
• Ask a friend or neighbor to pick up any mail, or have the post office hold your mail until you return. Stop your newspaper delivery.
• Depending on the time of year or where you live, ask someone to mow your lawn or shovel your driveway.
• Ask a neighbor to park in your driveway and move the car from time to time.
• Install motion detector lights outside your home.
• Install an alarm system and be sure to set it when you leave.
When you leave knowing your home is safe, you’ll be able to relax and fully enjoy your vacation. And if you’re a SECURA MILE-STONE® policyholder with our Travel Rescuer coverage, you have access to pre-travel information and real-time security intelligence. See your policy or insurance agent for details.