Don't go viral
As a business owner or leader, consider that the CDC’s figure doesn’t even take into account costs associated with:
- Other seasonal illnesses beyond influenza (common cold, bronchitis, strep throat, etc.).
- Time away from work for associate illnesses and dependent care.
- The impact on your company’s performance.
Five tips to help your associates avoid illness
1. VaccinateEncourage associates to get a flu vaccine each year and stay up to date with whooping cough and other vaccinations. It’s the single most effective way to prevent illness.
Tip: Ask your health insurance company or a local provider if they are willing to host a vaccination clinic on site at your company.
2. HandwashingEncourage associates to wash their hands or use hand sanitizer frequently, even if they’re on a
Tip: Make sanitizer available to associates and place it in common areas, where germs are likely to spread.
3. SanitizeThe flu virus can continue to infect people for up to 48 hours if they touch it on a surface.
Tip: Before you see an uptick in reported sick time, ask your cleaning service if they offer additional sanitization services or stock up on disinfectants.
4. Plan for sick timeTime is money, but offering a generous sick time benefit could help you limit the overall impact of illness on your bottom line. Associates will be more likely to stay home and avoid spreading illness to their colleagues.
Tip: Management can be especially effective in supporting the responsible use of sick time benefits. Encourage managers to monitor teams for illness and support associates who are ill in taking time away from work.
5. CommunicateWhen a high number of associates are ill, communication at all levels can help your teams and projects continue to run as well as possible. Don’t wait to establish good communication until you’re shorthanded.
Tip: Create staffing contingency plans, so you and your associates know what to expect. Make sure plans, logs, and reports are kept up to date, so people can pick up where others left off.
For more tips for your business, visit secura.net/PreventionConnection.
Related Prevention Connection topics
|Tired of being tired?||Winter slips, trips, and falls||Family Medical Leave|